Skiing – happiness is first tracks in fresh snow!
The landscape of Rokua Geopark is interesting and varied. The area’s network of cross-country skiing trails provide you with the ultimate Finnish experience. Taking you through deep forests, skirting the shores of frozen lakes and giving you a glimpse into this frozen wonderland. The trail network offers routes of varying lengths and terrain for skiers of different levels. There are allocated places along the routes where you can take a break and light a campfire and longer trails provide shelters where you can spend the night
Rokua Geopark’s trails run through Korkalavaara in Muhos, the centre of Utajärvi, Rokua, the centre of Vaala and Laajankangas as well as Säräisniemi and the island of Manamansalo. In the spring a ploughed track is opened from Utajärvi all the way to Oulu for the annual Tervahiihto cross-country ski race.
The most extensive linked network of ski trails in Rokua Geopark is in Rokua, providing approximately 25 km of maintained trails. The Rokua trails can be accessed from Rokua Outdoors House, Rokua Health & Spa Hotel or the Pookivaara parking area.
Useful tips for skiing and hiking in Rokua National Park area:
- There is a new 3,5 kilometers long winter trail going from Pookivaara parking area to Pitkäjärvi parking area. It is suitable for snowshoeing or skiing.
- The multi-use track (9,4 km) is suitable for hiking, snowshoeing, fatbiking or walking the dog.
- There is a new parking area in the crossroads of Rokuantie and Kuntoraitti.
- The road to Pookivaara parking area will be ploughed throughout the winter.
- The road to Pitkäjärvi parking area from Neittävä direction will be ploughed from the beginning of March 2023.
- There is a new rental hut at Pookivaara hill, Pookin pirtti.